Computer requirements to run Portfolio Slicer
To run Portfolio Slicer you need:
- Computer with Windows Operating System (Windows Vista or later). Computer should have Windows PowerShell 3.0 or later.
- Excel 2010 with PowerPivot or Excel 2013 (version 15.0.4551.1512 or later) or Excel 2016 or later.
Portfolio Slicer - OS Requirement
- Portfolio Slicer needs Windows Vista or later (Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10) 32 bit or 64 bit operating system. It was reported that Portfolio Slicer works on Windows XP SP3, but we did not test that.
- We recommend 64bit machine with at least 6GB of RAM, but it should work on machine with 3GB of RAM. During Portfolio Slicer refresh Excel service will use about 2GB of RAM, but depending on situation it could use more.
- Portfolio Slicer will not work on Mac Office as you cannot install PowerPivot on Mac Office.
- If during PowerShell script execution you will get error message "Method Invocation failed because [System.Object] doesn't contain a method named 'IndexOf'", then you will need to upgrade PowerShell to version 3.0 or later.
Portfolio Slicer - Excel 2010
- Portfolio Slicer will work on all editions of Excel 2010 except "Starter Edition".
- Portfolio Slicer will work on 32 bit or 64bit Excel 2010, but if you have 64bit OS, then we recommend that you also use 64bit Excel.
- For Excel 2010 you need to download and install free add-in from Microsoft: "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 2010". To install PowerPivot on your machine you might have to also install "Microsoft .NET Framework 4" and "Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime", but most likely you already will have them on your PC installed by other software. If in Excel you already have "PowerPivot" menu, that means you already have PowerPivot installed. More info on how to install and/or "Enable" PowerPivot for Excel 2010 can be found here.
- If you have any issues setting up Excel 2010 with PowerPivot for Portfolio Slicer, please ask your questions in our forum.
Portfolio Slicer - Excel 2013
Excel 2013 includes PowerPivot engine and allows you to run PowerPivot applications, but just some editions of Excel includes full support for PowerPivot. With full PowerPivot support you can start PowerPivot window and view and change existing PowerPivot model. Without full PowerPivot support you can use PowerPivot applications (like Portfolio Slicer), but you cannot view and edit existing model. For example, if you bought Office 2013 from retail store, then you do not have full PowerPivot support. But if you bought Excel 2013 from retail store, then you do have full PowerPivot support. For subscription based office, just Office 2013 Professional Plus edition has full support for PowerPivot.
Portfolio Slicer needs full PowerPivot support just if you want to change location of Portfolio Slicer external data files. If you will keep external data files in preconfigured location, then Portfolio Slicer will work on most Excel 2013 versions (except starter).
If you have Excel 2013 edition that has full PowerPivot support, you do not need to install PowerPivot add-in, but you might need to enable Power Pivot. For that you have to start Excel 2013, click on menu item "File" then "Options", then click on tab "Add-In". At the bottom of the screen from "Manage" drop down list select "COM Add-ins" and click "Go..." button. Make sure that check box by "Microsoft Office PowerPivot for Excel 2013" is checked and then click OK.
Important Note: If you are using Excel 2013 (not Office 365 version), then you need to make sure that your computer was updated to at least Office 2013 Service Pack 1 (SP1).