Portfolio Slicer is a free (for personal use) Excel workbook that lets you track your investments (stocks, ETFs, Mutual Funds) your way. It is designed for advanced Excel users who want to use the freedom and power of Excel for their investment tracking and reporting.
If you are serious investor, you know how important is to save history of all your transactions for tax filing and performance analysis. Many investors use Excel to save all their trading transaction information. Portfolio Slicer uses such information from Excel and lets you build very advanced reports that shows how your investments were doing at any point in time. Hardest part in setting up Portfolio Slicer is to enter your transactions. But if you will do that, you will be rewarded with very nice looking analytic reports.
To use Portfolio Slicer you will need:
- A PC with a Windows OS (Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8) and with Microsoft Excel 2010 (any edition, except "starter" with work). Portfolio Slicer will NOT work on Macintosh OS. Portfolio Slicer will not work on Surface RT tablet because Excel RT does not support PowerPivot technology.
- A free Excel add-in from Microsoft, called PowerPivot. The full name of this add-in is "Microsoft SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 2010". This add-in provides ground-breaking technology that allows for the fast manipulation of large data sets. Starting from Excel 2013 this add-in will be part of standard Excel setup, so there will be no need to download is separately.
- Daily or monthly historical stock prices. Portfolio Slicer comes with a free script that will download stock quotes from the Yahoo Financial website and format them for loading into Portfolio Slicer.
- A pre-formatted Excel workbook with source information about your investments, particularly list of your investment transactions (comes with Portfolio Slicer download). You will be responsible for entering your trading transactions and some info about stocks/ETFs/Mutual funds into this workbook.
- The Portfolio Slicer Excel workbook that contains investment tracking PowerPivot database with 90+ defined calculations and 25+ pre-built reports.
- Optional flat file with currency conversion information. Portfolio Slicer comes with script that can download Canadian/US dollar daily and monthly exchange rates from Bank of Canada website and prepares this data to be used in Portfolio Slicer.
Read more about Portfolio Slicer here.
To better understand what Portfolio Slicer can do for you, let us take a look at the reports included with Portfolio Slicer.
If you would like to see the same reports with YOUR investments data – download Portfolio Slicer now!
Portfolio Slicer was created by VidasSoft Systems Inc., a business intelligence consulting company located in Toronto, Canada. The Primary Software Architect for this software is Vidas Matelis with over 15 years of experience in this field. He has been a Microsoft MVP since 2008 for his contribution to SQL Server community. In 2011 he achieved the "SSAS Maestro" certification, the highest certification available on Microsoft SSAS technology (which is very closely related to PowerPivot technology).