Adding A New Report to Portfolio Slicer
This post describes how to create anew report in your Portfolio Slicer workbook.
In the PowerPivot slicer workbook you can create unlimited number of your own reports. Here are sample steps for creating one report:
- Open the PortfolioSlicer.xlsx workbook
- Select the "PowerPivot" meni itme
- Click on the "PivotTable" button (if you click on the lower part of this button, choose "PowerPivot" from the popup menu.
- In the "Create PivotTable" dialog, choose "New Worksheet"
- A new worksheet will be created with an empty Pivot Table that looks like this:
- From the "Dates" table select the "Year" attribute and drop it into the "Row Labels" area
- From the "Dates" table select the "MonthInYear" attribute and drop it into the "Row Labels" area below the "Year" attribute
- From the "Dates" table select the "QuotesAvailable" attribute and drop it into the "Report Filter" area.
- In the report select the "QuotesAvailable" drop-down list and select the "Yes" value. This will ensure that your report will contain only dates that you have quotes for
- From the "Symbol" table select the "Symbol" attribute and drop it into the "Column Labels" area.
- From the "Report" table select the "Total Value" attribute and drop it into the "Values" area. Your attribute selection area will look like this:
- At this point you should see a monthly report of each symbol value. This is how your Pivot Table will look like:
- Now you can add a chart to this report. Select any cell inside the pivot table report.
- Click on the "Insert" menu
- From the "Charts" area click on the drop-down arrow below the "Column" button and choose a "Stacked Columns" chart.
- This will insert a stacked column chart that shows how your holdings have changed over months.
This was just a sample pivot table and pivot chart report that shows how your investment has changed over time. With Portfolio Slicer you have the freedom to create such reports.